Friday, August 24, 2007

The Apricot Farm Adventure Part II

...Continued from part I. After we finished our snacks we continued back down the hill towards the two young boys' village. From there I found out that they wanted to take us to a nearby park that was even higher up, so we rode over there, checked in our bikes at the gate and began hiking up stairs and hills. The views were nice but you couldn't see much of the city because of the weather. (see more on the hills adventure at the bottom).
After we had another snack we descended and said "bye" to our young friends, who wanted to stay and swim in a nearby lake. It was at this point that one of my local pengyou (friends) asked if we could ride over and do one errand for his work before we began the long trek home. "Sure", I replied, wearily noticing that we were still going AWAY from our area. It wasn't until a little while later, away from the foothills that he pointed to our destination: a skyscraper that was perhaps an inch tall because of the distance, (going slightly uphill of course)! Well, I hung in there and we made it.
The other friend waited outside with me since they didn't allow foreigners into that building, and finally we began the long trek back home! With my bicycle gear options slightly limited (I had none) on my fancy bike my American legs finally gave out and I walked it back the last few blocks of the journey. But we made it and with our fruit, too! I hope to see more Fruit in the future. After we ate a meal (our journey ended up taking all day. It was past 5 or 6. We left around 8:30 that morning) I said "bye" and dragged my legs around the block to my apartment. Ahhh, what great exercise, and what an adventure! I'll have to tell you more about it someday. Please remember these friends, these places and all the people in this area.




Cow tied next to the house.












I think our small guides (hidden by my friends) are going down this alley to get permission to go to the park.


Some views after a series of stairs at the park.








































In the peaceful hills we had another snack of fruit and some Asian version of Vienna sausage. After forcing the soft, thick meat down we shared some songs, as is their custom. I sang a children's song about how Yes, my Brother loves me, and had a good sharing time as we talked. My local friends asked if they could translate for the two young friends, so of course I said "Yes"!!! It was a fun time. It is amazing how we can talk to people in both the hills and the valleys. Once again, please remember all these people. I do hope to see some more Fruit! That day was quite an adventure!

No comments: