Friday, August 24, 2007

The Apricot Farm Adventure, Part I

The adventure began when a couple of my local friends asked if I wanted to visit an apricot farm just outside of town. So one Saturday morning they met me and we took off on our bikes (see my cool bike below). It was supposed to take 1-2 hours each way, but it became apparent that they didn't know exactly how to get there or how far it really was. They were able to get directions multiple times to the xing (apricots), and we gradually began going more and more uphill as we drew near the mountains outside our city. The beautiful countryside and hills contrasted the squalor of the villages, but it was good to ride through and think about the people there (please remember them).
Two young boys met us and acted as our guides/companions for much of the journey in this area, until we at last arrived at the farm and collected some different kinds of fruit. But the journey had only begun....






(My "new" old 1-speed bike. There are actually some very nice bikes in the city. I'm hoping its age and the fact that people are not supposed to sell used bikes here anymore will keep thieves from stealing it (there is a built in lock on the rear wheel, and I keep it in my building, plus I ask Father for help). I've come to appreciate the handy, stylish basket. People often let passengers ride side saddle on the small platform behind the seat. I have done this a few times on friends' bikes but it's not the most comfortable way to travel. (So far I've only tried to ride w/one teenager on the back of my bike and I almost crashed after 2 seconds.) It's better w/some of the newer bikes w/larger , padded seats.)












Shepherds in the field reminded me of some of my favorite stories...











View of our Mountains













Horses grazing far below (left picture).











Up, up we go, into the hills and through villages...










At last, with the help of two small boys we reach the apricot farm. Some other kids were there, too.












We saw several kinds of fruit, but that wasn't what the big journey was really about.












"Meiguoren!" ("American!")


"Lao wai!" (traditional term. Lit. "Old foreigner!")
























1st snack with my friends and our little guides. We got to dig into the fruit! One of the kids started drinking a can of beer (provided by one of my local friends) The "Wai jiao" (foreign teacher) let them know quickly (in a subtle manner) that they should drink shui (water) instead. I was impressed with how quickly they all caught on. They drank bottled water the rest of the trip.
















Some remarkable views. The flowers to the right were HUGE!




I thought that our journey was almost over, but there was much more to come. Stay tuned for "The Apricot Farm Adventure Part II"!








No comments: